Aspiring actors undergo a tedious process in auditions before they can get the role in a commercial or film. In this kind of industry, competition is always tough. In a pool of people who fall in line for auditions, there will be hundreds who want the same role so badly just like you. Some are even seasoned and have years of experience which make them more fit for some roles as compared to newbies. To stand out in the roster and have a fighting chance in getting the role you want, it’s very important to know both the common and specific requirements of a casting agency. Agents and directors say that they can easily separate good candidates from those they can’t work with based on this set of qualities.
1. Overall look. This doesn’t pertain to your physical appearance only but your overall presence. You need to present yourself as the role you’re targeting. Your face, body, how you stand, and your expressions and gestures should be compatible with the character that the casting agencies are looking for. This will require a great amount of calculation on your part, but be flexible in order to look and become the person they are looking for.
2. Ability to act. You want to be flawless when you demonstrate your acting skills. When you’re acting, you don’t want to appear like you are acting. You need to look and sound as natural as possible. You need to be able to present yourself as the character instead of someone just playing that character – so be completely convincing.
3. Complete professionalism. Arriving on time, having your lines completely memorized, looking good, and being ready to take every instruction well are all qualities of a professional that casting directors look for.
4. Passionate attitude. This clearly indicates how serious you are about the career you’ve chosen. You need to be able to prove that you’re ready to overcome the challenges that the acting job will present, and be the character. If the directors say you need to lose weight, cut your hair, speak with an accent, learn martial arts or jump off a building, they want to hear that you can do something to make it possible
5. Confidence. This isn’t something that can be faked. You need to be able to show that you believe in yourself and can demonstrate courage, especially when asked to do something very challenging.